The tension was high in the boarding area as I waited to
board a flight back to Dallas. The
increased anxiety was brought about by an approaching storm. The sky was darkening outside. People checked
the weather app on their phones. It was obvious our flight was going to be
delayed.
Above the anxious murmurs came a boisterous plea, “Can
anybody tell me the gate for the flight to LaGuardia.” It was the distinctive “New York accent” that
caught my attention.
The lack of a response caused an additional, “Can somebody
help me. I need to catch the flight to
LaGuardia. It’s an airport in New York.”
I looked up and immediately identified the source. He was wearing a Yankee’s cap and T-shirt. My life experience also told me he was likely
a functioning autistic adult.
There was a sense of uneasiness in the gate area. All seemed
uncomfortable and threatened by the man.
Suddenly a strong female voice, addressed him. “I can help you, but you need to come over
here.” It was a Southwest Airlines gate
agent. She called to the man but was also
headed in his direction.
Once at the podium, their conversation was not
private. He used the same animated
tone. I was close enough to hear her
calm response. “Can I see your boarding pass.”
Once that was secured, she was able to reassure the man that he was at the
right gate, but the flight did not leave for another two hours. Other flights would leave from that gate before
then. She also explained the weather,
“there might be a delay in your flight.”
She pointed to an open chair that was convenient to the
podium. “Wait there, and we will keep
you informed.”
“Thank you!” the man proclaimed in the same unsettling tone.
I had observed but I also took time to reflect.
We are surrounded by people who are calling for help. Often their cries make us uncomfortable. Because of their demeanor, their skin color,
their ethnicity or social status, we ignore, or turn away. All of us in the gate area heard his cry,
only one person responded. She also had
the information needed.
What the man required was someone to listen to him, to hear
his problem and help him find his way.
Basically, he needed to be reassured he was okay.
During his earthly ministry, many times Jesus interrupted
his journey because someone was calling out in a voice of panic and pain. He
always stopped and rendered aid. In some
cases, the demeanor or physical state of the person made the disciples
anxious.
I believe he is calling us to do the same. It might make us uncomfortable, but that
should never keep us from being Jesus to others. By showing care and compassion, we might nudge
them closer to a personal relationship with The Savior.
Beautifully said!
ReplyDelete