Monday, August 17, 2026

Still Living in the Tension

 

I began my professional ministry in 1969.  I was called to youth ministry at Trinity Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, located just south of Perry County, where the Saxon Lutherans established their first church and seminary.  Lutheran tradition ran deep in Cape Girardeau.  It was a town of 35,000 with four active and growing Lutheran Church Missouri Synod congregations, plus a Lutheran campus center that served the students of Southeast Missouri State University.

Trinity was not only the largest Lutheran congregation in town, but one of the largest in the LCMS.  There were three traditional services held each Sunday.  All three were well attended.  The 11 am service was broadcast live over the local radio station. 

I immediately sensed a tension.  Winds of change were wrestling among the teens.  Part of it was having a youth center that was located just a block from a major state university.  The Jesus Movement was beginning.  That was happening amid anxiety over the Viet Nam war and racial conflict.  The reality that the town was highly segregated was obvious to the kids who made up my flock.

There was fresh spirit among the kids.  They were very much aware of the guitar driven music of the of the Jesus Movement.  I had been introduced to contemporary Christian music in my youth ministry classes in college.  Now it was avital part of my ministry. 

It did not go on noticed, and quickly led to a response, “It is okay in the youth room but don’t even think about bringing those guitars into the sanctuary.” 

It was not just worship style that caused tension.  My youthful flock was very aware of the cultural tensions.  We actively discussed the issues in the youth room.  We did Bible studies on how scripture applied to the issues of the day.  The core group of youth leaders had grown up in the church and attended the parish school.  Lutheran sacramental theology was in their blood, but so was a desire to speak to the needs of a changing world.

Reflecting, more professional church workers came out of those three years than in the rest of my ministry combined.

I share these memories now because in many ways the same anxiety still exists today. 

Our church body still is in tension.  How do we maintain our rich theological tradition and still meet the needs of contemporary culture?  How do we navigate change while staying true to our heritage? 

People often asked me about my feelings on the church, particularly the future of the LCMS.  I see the reality of a denomination that like other Protestant bodies has been in decline for decades.

My experience tells me that we are going to be okay.  I say that because I am confident God has me, in the palm of His hand.  God is faithful.  We need to personally stay faithful and focus first and foremost on our own relationship with Him. 

I say this reflecting on 55+ years of ministry.  I have seen many changes, including a split that deeply affected the church and impacted my own family.  I have seen leaders come and go.  Each decade seemed to have a new program that was going to impact and change things. 

Through it all I have been okay, because my God is faithful. 

We just need to tone down the voices and listen more to the Spirit of God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment