Monday, June 22, 2009

Encouraging Self Indulgence

I have seen the pink stretch lemo with the words "Party Girls" inscribed boldly on the side at various times when driving around North Dallas. My first thought was usually, "Way to go," as I envisioned some young moms taking a deserved break from their family responsibilities. Or perhaps it was a group of single gals celebrating a special occasion. From my high school counselor experience I know lemo companies do a big business during prom season but no high school jock would be caught dead in a pink lemo. It has to be a girl thing!

When I saw the picture of the pink lemo on the front page of the Dallas Morning News Metro section yesterday I was intrigued. Before my eyes could drift up to the headline, they were captured by the image of a group of six year olds dancing in party dresses. "The Big Business of Birthdays," the banner boldly proclaimed. The print below the pictured noted that Avery's party at a Frisco Spa had set her parents back $399. That did not include the lemo ride to and from. My next thought was, "What's wrong with this picture?" but pershaps it should be, "What's wrong with a culture that needs to over indulge our kids?"

I knew that bounce houses had long ago replaced "pin the tail on the donkey" but a stretch lemo and spa trip for a pre-adolescent was a new one of me. I guess I live in a sheltered world. When our grandson celebrated his fifth birthday my son and his wife invited us to join other family members for a bowling party. Andrew has become quite an accomplished bowler on the Wii. He didn't do badly on a real lane. I could accept that. But $500+ for a lemo and spa party seems a bit overboard. I guess the need for six year olds to have a make-up session and pedicure escapes me.

One of the reasons the rest of the world looks on the United States with such disdain is our reputation for over-indulgence. Based on the article, I would say the trend will continue. Arminta Jacobson, the director of the Center for Parent Education at the University of North Texas, call the rising expectations of child partygoers the "snowball effect." I see it more as our "competive nature." Which parent can out-do all the others at providing an extravagant experience for their child and friends.

I really encourage all parents to stop and count the cost before they plan such an event for their child. I am not talking about the dollar value attached to such parties but rather the long-term trend. If it's going to cost $500 for a birthday party for a six year old, what is it going to cost for their senior prom? What kind of expectations are we establishing here?

On the other extreme we have friends at church with twin daughters. The girls recently celebrated their birthday with a party. Instead of gifts from themselves they wanted their guests to bring school supplies that could be donated to an urban mission in Dallas. How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment