Friday, November 13, 2009

Lessons from NASCAR

I am a NASACR fan. Some, including members of my own family, think I am obsessed with it. I do have my share of NASCAR apparel, including a somewhat colorful racing jacket. I also have large collection of 1/24 scale cars and a race scanner I take to the track. I have an autographed picture of my favorite driver, Bobby Labonte, hanging in my office. I have the link to his website listed as a favorite on my computer. I also know his vital statistics, his family history and the name of his wife, that would be Donna, and kids, that would be Robbie and Madison.

I guess my love for NASCAR, and racing in general, goes back to growing up in The Motor City, Detroit. I have always enjoyed watching races but when they built a new track only 45 minutes from my house, it was just too convenient. When I attended my first race, I was hooked. There is no adrenalin rush like watching, and hearing, forty-three stock cars take the green flag.

Some things I like about NASCAR: The parking is free and they let you carry in your own coolers with food and drinks. More, importantly, I like the family values. The NASACR Circuit really is a city on wheels. The drivers and their families travel together and stay clustered together in their motor homes at the track. Before the race you can see the families hanging out together. They support each other and remain friends away from the track.

There is also a spiritual side to NASCAR. What other major sports begins each race with an invocation (prayer), before the singing of the National Anthem. This isn't just a token "nod to God" either. The Gospel is almost always presented. Raceway Ministries meets the spiritual needs of the NASCAR family as they cross the country. Chapel services are held each Sunday and many of the race teams include Bible study as part of their weekly schedule.

So why am I including this information on my blog? NASCAR was in town last weekend and I had the opportunity to take my son, Peter, and two oldest grandsons, Andrew and Caleb, to the track for the first time. We had an awesome night watching the Truck Series. I am sure we will be going back many more times. I think they have caught my passion. Even two year old, Jonathan, will line up his cars and then announce, "Gentleman, Start Your Engines."

I only pray that I am even more passionate about sharing my faith in Jesus Christ, with the boys. It's great to have a sport where my interest and my faith are connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment