Monday, September 13, 2010

To Burn or Not burn the Quran?

I was saddened, but not surprised, that the media focused on Florida pastor, Terry Jones, last week. In case you missed it, he is the man who threatened to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11.

As I have previously shared, I learned a lot about tolerance from my dad. The reason my parents were able to live in the same neighborhood in Detroit for over forty years was because my dad built bridges and not walls. Dad tried to be friends with all people. He greeted everyone with a "Hi" and was willing to talk to anyone about anything. He didn't talk about it much, but I know his motivation was to treat people like Jesus would. Jesus loved people where they were at and gently guided them to where he wanted them to be. The only thing that Jesus could not tolerate was hypocrisy. I don't see that in Muslims, Hindus or any other of the world's religions.

Don't get me wrong. I still believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that he died for my sins and those of the whole world. He is the only hope for the world. He is Our Savior.

I work part-time for a hospital chaplancy service. As I make my round I encounter individuals of all different faiths. What I have discovered is that when someone tells me that they are a Jew, Muslim or Hindu, they expect me to turn my back and flee. Instead, I listen. I asked them about their faith and source of hope. Sometimes they ask about my faith, but most times they don't. Either way, I am conveying love. In some small way I am building a bridge, rather than a wall.

I grieve the fact that most of the world hates us. When I see people burn the American Flag it troubles me. I can, however, understand why. We don't practice our faith. When we hate, or show no respect for those whose belief system is different than our, we are building walls, not bridges.

As parents, we are in an important position. When we model our faith through our tolerance, we are encouraging our kids to do the same. Maybe we can be people of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment