Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Relatives Will Leave, but Jesus Won't

An article that appeared in USA Today one day last week caught me eye. "Jesus takes a backseat to family." was the headline. The article reflected on a recent survey. The statement, "Christmas is a time to ..." was posed to over 2,000 folks. A higher percentage, 45% as opposed to 37%, stated spending time with family was their top priority.

Perhaps that is what I observed on December 26th. I walk for exercise, and that is what I was doing on a path near our house on the day after Christmas. It was a cool, but nice afternoon. Lots of folks were out. I greeted each one with a "Merry Christmas." From some I got a puzzled look, others responded with a smile. Very few returned the greeting. To be honest, most seemed to be pre-occupied, a few others distressed. Not much Christmas cheer, even from those who were accompanied by other people.

My guess is that most of those I met had spent Christmas Day with friends and family. A few might have even spent it in church. But did the Spirit of the Christ Child remain? It sure didn't seem so. Spending time with family is temporary. Having Christ in your life is forever. That is not the way we think or operate, however. We tend to seek those things that offer instant gratification.

Don't get me wrong. I value family time. Barb and I had our whole gang together for eight hours on Christmas Day. After everyone left I was soon craving for more. But the spirit of the Christ Child remained with me. I was reminded of that during my personal devotional time the next day, and again as I worshipped on the 2nd Day of Christmas.

Time with family is temporary, but time with Jesus is forever.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom,

    Thanks to The House of Yahweh, people are catching onto the christmas Lie...Jesus is the false savior Zeus Krishna from the Council of Nicea of 325 AD...my dad knew christmas was pagan but forgot to tell his congregation becoz he didn't want to miss out on the special gifts of MONEY from the poor members !!

    Sincerely,

    James Kurz
    living in The Truth

    ReplyDelete