Monday, January 24, 2011

Why I Don't Like to Watch the NFL

Like many American sports fans I watched the two NFL playoff games yesterday. I don't normally watch much pro football. Part of it is the season runs concurrent with NASCAR's Chase for the Cup. Aside from baseball, I probably follow racing more than any other sport. There was a time when I closely followed pro football but two factors have turned my off. The first is living in the DFW area, and having Jerry Jones as the owner of the local franchise. You have to look far to find a more self-serving, egotistical character.

The second reason is the same fault that I have with the NBA. It's too much about glorifying self. I can't stand it when a player feels the need to celebrate themselves on the field. A defensive player makes a great tackle or sack and then celebrates their conquest. That is exactly why I like the "excessive celebration" penalty in college football. You cross the goal line, toss the ball to the referee and then celebrate with your teammates on the way to the bench. You don't dance, jive or dive into the stands. The same attitudes have turned me off to pro basketball. A player makes a spectacular slam dunk and then celebrates while his teammates run down the floor to play defense without him. I have other issues with the NBA, but I don't have enough time to go into that.

I guess the reasons I like baseball and stock car racing is the there is so little glorification of self. The few "Mannys" who do have egos are looked on more with disdain than admiration. Listen to a driver interviewed after a race, and you will hear repeated references to all the people who supported him and made the victory possible.

We are hosting the Super Bowl in North Texas this year. And yes, I am serving as a volunteer. It is not because of my desire to support The NFL, or Jerry Jones. It's because I want to be a good host. The game and the events that accompany it are great for our local economy.

Fortunately the new NASCAR season starts the following weekend. Baseball season isn't far behind. I enjoy watching those sports, but also appreciate the values they promote.

No comments:

Post a Comment