Friday, October 14, 2011

Occupy Dallas: Is There a Better Way?

I heard on the news this morning that hundreds of people camp out overnight outside of area Apple Stores waiting to be the first to purchase a new version of the i-phone. I am sure somewhere Steve Jobs is smiling. My question is: What is it that compels us to want the biggest, best and newest of everything.

The other news story that caught my attention today was word that the Occupy Dallas protesters have reached an agreement with the city on relocating their tent city. As I understand it, the Occupy Dallas folks were inspired by the group currently protesting on Wall Street. Their angst is directed at corporate America and the greed that seems to drive it. They are calling for people to again take control of our country.

I see a connection between these two stories. In my mind there is no difference between corporate greed and personal greed. We have reached the point where greed, rather than survival drives our economy. As a nation we have gotten the difference wants and needs confused. If they want to send a message I would suggest that they move their tent city to North Park Mall, or Southlake Town Center.

I visited the auto show at the State Fair of Texas last week. I enjoy looking at the new cars, and yes I would like one of them. Reality is, what I need is transportation and my ten year old Saturn with 195,000 miles provides that. I see that as doing my part.

As parents and adults we need to be setting a better example for our kids. If some of us learned to live with a little less, maybe those that don't have enough right now would be better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment