Wednesday, November 2, 2011

NASCAR and My Grandsons

Next to the holidays, this coming weekend is one of my favorite times of the year. It's a NASCAR weekend at Texas Motor Speedway. Three straight days at the track. I always joke that NASCAR is the one sport that is truly Lutheran. They begin with an invocation and let you carry in your own beverage of choice, including beer. Hey, the parking is free too, and some of the best fellowship around is found at the track. NASCAR fans are a unique fraternity. No strangers here.

None of these are the primary reason I enjoy NASCAR weekends at TMS. It comes down to the quality time that I get to spend with my grandsons. Weekends at the speedway are the one experience that only I share with them. While our time at the track is fun and entertaining, that's not where I find the most satisfaction. The race itself is loud and extremely intense. Not much time for conversation. I enjoy the trips to and from the track almost as much as the race itself. Great time for conversation. And then there's the tailgating in the parking lot and walking the midway, looking at the show cars and searching for autographs.

I sincerely hope this is a tradition that continues. Every grandparent needs one activity that they uniquely share with their grand kids. It's not the activity, as much as it is the time together and the opportunity to pass on the values and faith that are so much a part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment