Friday, March 29, 2013

Easter: A Lesson from Mr. Munzel

I grew up in Detroit in the 50's and 60's.  It was a great city, nothing like the urban wasteland of today.  I grew up surrounded by family: Grandparents and aunts and uncles all lived in the same neighborhood.  Church was a big part of our lives.  We went to St. James Lutheran Church and George Kurz was the only pastor I knew till I left for college.  Pastor Kurz was not the only mentor I had.  I was surrounded by Sunday school teachers. confirmation sponsors, youth leaders and a volunteer who coached out boys basketball team.  One of the major influences on my spiritual development was Carl Munzel.  Mr. Munzel was the organist and choir director.  My parents sang in the choir, I joined the children's choir when in third grade and moved up through the ranks. During my junior year in high school  the senior choir had a shortage of treble voices and I was asked to join the bass section. 

It was during Lent of that year that Carl Munzel taught me an important lesson.  His words still ring in my ear as I prepare to celebrate another Easter.  Lent was a busy time for our choir.  In addition to singing every Sunday, we sang for every Lenten service, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.  This particular Lent we must have been struggling to transition from "Stricken, Smitten and Afflicted" to "Jesus Christ is Risen Today.  Our lack of enthusiasm for the anthems he had selected for Easter finally got the best of him.  He rose up from the piano bench and stood before us with anger in his eyes.  "Where would we be without Easter.  Christmas is a great celebration, but if the Baby Jesus hadn't died and risen again we would have no hope."
 
We are Easter People.  That means we are people of hope in the midst of a changing world.  That is the Good News we must celebrate this Easter, but it's also the message of hope we need to be share with all the children, youth and young adults in our lives.  Pass the torch.

No comments:

Post a Comment