Monday, May 12, 2014

A Time of Celebration and Anxiety

It has been a few years since I stepped away from my job as a high school counselor, but I still have distinct memories of this time of year.  It was a melancholy time as we got ready to launch seniors, some of whom I had invested a lot of time in.  It was also a stressful time.  There is something about the formula of spring weather, the anticipation of freedom and young hormones that puts kids at risk.  When you add in the availability of alcohol at certain graduation and end of the year parties, you have a volatile mix.

In some way, this is nothing new.  We might even right it off as part of the "right of passage."  This is the fiftieth anniversary of my high school graduation and I remember the parties.  I recall one friend laughing about his drive home in an alcohol stupor from one such event.  "I don't recall anything about driving home," he bragged.  "It was quite a party!"  At least my friend and the rest of my classmates, self included, survived that experience.  Last week a couple of DFW area teens did not.  In both cases alcohol and speed were involved.  I could only shake my head and silently grieve for the families involved. 

No matter what the age or circumstance, we are always parents to the children who grow in our homes.  I was reminded of that again yesterday as we gathered with our family.  There are eleven of us now, Peter, Mark and Katie, plus their spouses and the three grandsons.  I shifted back into the role of dad.  Listening, loving, supporting and offering some insights.

That should especially be the case if we have teenagers in our homes.  We need to be honest about the dangers of at-risk behaviors.  We need to confront the issue of alcohol and driving.  It's part of our responsibility. 

Listen to them and be especially attuned to warning signs of at-risk behavior.
Love them and remind them of how much you are concerned about their safety and well-being.
Support them in all of their endeavors.
Share your insights when it comes to at-risk behavior.

It's impossible to pass the torch of faith and values when we don't even have them in our lives to hug.  When you add alcohol to the formula of spring weather, freedom and young hormones, you have a deadly mix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment