Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Father's Advice

What is the most significant thing your father taught you?  I recall being asked that question one time.  It was one of the ice breaker questions asked at a professional conference.  The fellow ahead of me noted that his dad had told him to "Make sure your shoes are shined, your tie is straight and your zipper is up."  When it was my turn I joked that my dad taught me two things, "Love Jesus.  Hate the Yankees."  Actually I was pretty much on target.  My dad was an accountant by trade, but his passion was the church.  His favorite sport was baseball.  One of his rules was you were there at the beginning and you stayed to the end.  Our car was often the first one in the parking lot on Sunday morning and you always stayed till the end.  Same thing for baseball.  You never left a ballgame till the last out.  My dad taught me many other things, including how to relate to people.  My dad had no enemies, and quite a network of friends.  Now I am trying to pass that legacy on to my children.

An experience yesterday brought all of that to mind again.  I try to spend a couple hours each week working in a coffee shop.  It's one way I stay in touch with our culture and the world we live in.  Some times I work in a Starbucks, but yesterday I was at a Dunn Brother's in Addison.  I was finishing up my work when a young man seated himself at the table next to me.  Along with his coffee, he set his cell phone on the table.  Next, he did something I had not seen in a long time.  He got out a Day-Timer.  In the digital age I didn't think many people, especially someone under thirty, still used an agenda book. 

As I got up to leave I commented that it was nice to see someone still using an agenda book.  "Couldn't live without it," he responded.  He went on to note that he did use his cell phone for his contact list and to check his messages.  "I have my calendar on my phone too," he continued.  He must have seen my puzzled look, because he did have an explanation.  "I keep my notes on my customers in this book," he explained.  Now it made sense.  He was in sales and he kept a record of his visits with his clients in his Day-Timer.  I could tell from his extensive notes that he was a detail person.  He went on to say that his dad had taught him to use a Day-Timer as a way of tracking sales calls.  It made sense.  He was taking care of his customers in a very personal way.  The young man's father had passed on his legacy as a sales representative. 

Every parent has the responsibility to pass on a legacy.  For those of us who are Christians, it means passing on the legacy of faith.  My dad did it, and now I am trying to do it as well.  Passing on a legacy on how to play golf, cook or keep an agenda book is important, but none of those provide the eternal hope that comes from a relationship with Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment