Thursday, July 17, 2014

Don't Like Change: How do you Feel About Irrelevance?

As I write this blog post, Barb and I are wrapping up a twelve day road trip.  We have visited a lot of family along the way.  This morning I awoke in Valparaiso, Indiana, home of Orville Redenbacher and Barb's brother Gary and wife, Susan.  There is another connection; Our son, Mark, went to the college here.  Valparaiso University was a life-changing experience for him.  For me the highlight of the trip was the four days I spent in Detroit.  I got some quality time with my mother and her brother, my Uncle Don.  The visit also brought back a flood of memories.  I got listen to the Tigers on the radio (no cable TV in mom's apartment), and spend time playing cribbage with my uncle on Belle Isle., After church Sunday we drove north to St. Claire for a perch dinner. We dined overlooking the river.  A lake freighters passed during our meal and I was able to stand on the deck of the restaurant and wave to one of the crew members.  How often I did that as a child. 

This morning I have had time to put things in perspective: The past has everything to do with where and who I am now, but very little to do with where I go and what I do in the future.  While it's okay to reminisce, but we cannot live our lives looking to the past.  I saw an interesting quote this morning in a article titled The Ten Lasts Gasps of a Dying Church.  The author, Brian Dodd, wrote, "If you don't like change, you are going to like irrelevance even less." How true!  In our fast-changing digital world, we cannot live in the past. 

So, I have reached the point this morning where I am ready to move on.  I am planning on doing some work on my next newsletter this afternoon.  There is a Starbucks near the university, so I plan on hanging out there and tasting the local culture.  I am also anxious to get home, and back to my writing project.  I am about half way done with the manuscript for: Relevant? The Church as it Relates to Millennials.  I also wait in anticipation to see what the future holds, feeling blessed to be alive at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment