Sunday, October 5, 2014

Bullying: Even You Can Do Something

I wonder whatever happened to Robbie Garrett (not his real name).  Robbie was in my physical education class freshman year in high school.  I didn't know Robbie very well because PE was the only class we had together.  I probably wouldn't still be thinking about Robbie except I have always felt sorry for him.  Robbie was bullied.  He had a nick name that I really cannot share.  Let's just say his anatomy had an unusual feature, and that is not something you want exposed in a boy's locker room. Not only was Robbie subject to verbal abuse, but physical abuse as well.  Towel snaps: need I say more.  I didn't take part, but like most observers of bullying I did not  intervene.  As is usually the case, I was just grateful it wasn't me, after all I had feet that looked like surfboards
9th Grade males can be brutal.  Robbie Garrett did not come back for sophomore year.  I don't know why, but it  it had been me, I wouldn't have wanted to return to that environment.  As far as I know Robbie was a good kid.

Why after all these years am I writing about Robbie Garrett?  I just finished reading a chapter on bullying in Danah Boyd's new book, It's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens. Today's social media allows bullies to take their harassment to a whole new level.  With cyber-bullying there is no escaping, even when you away from school. Boyd's book defines bullying, "as a practice in which someone of differential physical or social power subjects another person to repeated psychological, physical , or social aggression." That matches the case of bullying I witnessed years ago and also saw during my years working with teens.  It usually involves a big kid, or kids, repeatedly physically tormenting a little kid or a popular teen repeatedly spreading nasty rumors about an outcast.  Back in those days we thought of it as teasing, but by any name it is wrong.

I am sharing my experience with bullying because I want to encourage you to share yours.   Maybe you were a victim, or perhaps just an observer.  Your story needs to be shared with the young people in your life.  While they might not be the kind of student who intentionally picks on another student, it's a pretty good bet they've observed it or maybe been a victim.  Either way, the worst thing to do is nothing because that is what give the bullies there power.

No comments:

Post a Comment