Sunday, November 23, 2014

My Favorite Holiday

This coming week we will celebrate our National Day of Thanksgiving.  I have come to appreciate Thanksgiving Day to the point that it has become my favorite holiday.  I know that we are Easter People.  From a spiritual perspective the annual celebration of our Lord's Resurrection trumps every other holiday.  Christmas is, well Christmas, but quite frankly the schedule can wear me out.  So much goes into the preparation that I end up tired, and then have to take down all the decorations.  How I enjoy Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is about family and food.  When it comes to things I am thankful for, those are at the top of the list.  I am very grateful to live in a country where I have all my needs met.  I daily recognize how blessed I am.  I am well fed, and live in a comfortable home.  I am relatively healthy and have more clothes than I need.  I am part of a great family and am surrounded by friends who love me and accept me for who I am.  I am among the most blessed.

My plans for this year include lots of family time.  I will be walking in the Annual Dallas Turkey Trot with our daughter, Katie, and her husband, John.  Sometime Thursday afternoon Peter and his family will come over.  We plan to watch the TCU-Texas Football game that evening.  Mark and Kristen will join the celebration on Friday and we will celebrate the traditional Thanksgiving feast together.  I am sure along the way we will play some games and probably have at least one game of touch football in the yard. 

I pray that you and yours will have a blessed Thanksgiving.  Along the way take time to share with your family members,especially the kids, how grateful you are.  Your attitude of thanksgiving is another message that needs to be past to the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment