Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Epidemic That Will Not Go Away

Suicide was back in the news again in the DFW area last weekend.  Two seventeen year old students from Plano East High School took their own lives within hours of each other.  Classmates say the girls were acquaintances but were not close friends.  There is no reason to suspect a “death pact,” rather it seems to be just a coincidence that they both chose to end their own lives.

My first memory of a teen killing themselves was during my sophomore year in high school.  His family was members of our church.  He was a couple years older than me and I barely knew him but lots of my church friends did.  They talked about it, but my parents barely mentioned it. 

I was especially aware of the threat of teen suicide during my years as a school counselor.  We tried to be proactive.  My colleagues knew the warning signs.  We were quick to intervene in situations where we felt the student was in danger to themselves.  We were quick to get parents involved.  It was never an easy conversation, but in the end they usually expressed gratitude.  To my knowledge we never lost a student to suicide.

So again, let me share the warning signs:

A teen becomes obsessed with death.  It might even be through poetry or art work.

Changes in mood: It could be they act depressed or withdrawn.

They pull away from friends and family.

A drop in grades or lack of interest in school activities.

They engage in risk taking behavior, including drugs and alcohol.

Do not wait for the warning signs.  It is always best to be proactive.  Here are some ways:

Be engaged in the lives of your kids.  Observe them as they interact with friends.

Talk about the issue, especially if there are incidents.  That includes attempts or threats.  Even a comment like, “nobody would miss me if I was gone,” need to be taken seriously.

Keep your kids healthy.  Make sure they see their doctor regularly.  Health also includes making sure they are emotionally and spiritually strong.

Learn to listen.  Sometimes the best way to show you care is to just listen and not give advice.

Never stop saying, “I love you.”



No comments:

Post a Comment