Tuesday, April 26, 2016

History from a Generational Perspective

I wore many hats during my eleven years at Lutheran High School of Dallas.  My primary role was school counselor, but my job description often changed as dictated by need.  As an example; during the first couple of years I coached the junior varsity baseball team, but when the opportunity arose I switched to my first choice, basketball.  Somewhere along the line they needed someone to teach a couple of sections of advanced composition.  As a published author, the head of the English department asked me to fill in.  I soon discover that writing and teaching writing are two different things.  I am happy to report that the English department head and I are still friends and often play golf together.  Part of the conversation usually involves laughing about that endeavor.

I do have one very clear memory from that experience.  As I reflect, it was probably one of my first experiences with the millennial effect.  The assignment was a persuasive essay.  The topic was The Most Significant News Event in the Twentieth Century.  As examples I suggest events surrounding World War II: The bombing of Pearl Harbor or of Hiroshima, the latter of which ushered in the nuclear age.  I also reflected the assassination of President Kennedy from my perspective.  I was shocked when they turned in their assignments.  The most popular topics: The death of Nirvana singer, Kurt Cobain, the death of Diana; Princess of Wales and the AIDS Epidemic.  I sincerely questioned how anyone could consider the drug related death of a rock star with the dropping of a Bomb that not only killed thousands but led to the end of the war in the Pacific.

The incident in that high school writing class came to mind last week as the news of the pop star, Prince, was announced.  While I am hard-pressed to even name a hit song by Prince, to many he was a music icon.  As I watch the human response, I get the impression that members of Generation X most closely identified with Prince, and before him Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston.  The truth is that history, and the people we consider icons, is a matter of perspective.  Brad Keselowski is one of my heroes, but outside of NASCAR fans few people even recognize his name.  Perspective!

With history it is a matter of perspective, but from a spiritual point of view it is a matter of focus.  There is only one hero in God’s story.  He is more than an icon.  He is our Savior.  Jesus ultimately is the one we should be worshipping.  It is also his story that needs to be told, over and over.  Our earthly heroes, whether they are in sports, politics, or the entertainment industry, are merely temporary.  Jesus is eternal, and so is the hope we have in him.  That is the message we need to be passing on to Millennials and all future generations.  There is only one “real” Prince, and he is the “Prince of Peace.”

  

No comments:

Post a Comment