Monday, May 16, 2016

The Most Influential Millennials

A few weeks back Time Magazine released their annual issue featuring the one hundred most influential people.  I always try to read the issue cover to cover.  I figure that while there are many I know, but the rest I probably ought to at least be aware of.  This time around I was amazed at the number of Millenials who made the list.  Again, there were some I knew and respected, golfer Jordan Spieth for example.  There were others, like ultimate fighter Ronda Rousey, who I am aware of but try to ignore.  Singer Adele was on the list.  I have been told by Millennials that I need to listen to her because is not only is she easy to listen to but a genuinely nice person and good role model. 

Mark Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, made the list.  Mark Zuckerberg, probably more than anyone else, hastened the advance of social media when he started Facebook.  While I know of him, I was not aware of the role his wife plays.  Priscilla Chen is evidently a renowned pediatrician who has devoted her life to the health and well-being of children.  Together, Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan have established the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative to take on challenges like improving education, curing disease and building strong communities.  Reportedly they have committed 99% of their sizable wealth to charitable causes.  They were both born in 1984, making them Millennials who are making a difference. 

Born in January of 1980, Lin-Manuel Miranda barely qualifies as a Millennial, but I would put him high on the list of influential people.  He has got young people excited about two things they typically are not passionate about; history and theater.  Lin-Manuel Miranda is the force behind the hit Broadway musical Hamilton.  He conceived, wrote and stars in the show, which is based on the life of Alexander Hamilton.  From a historical perspective, Hamilton was one of our nation’s founding fathers and the first Secretary of the Treasury.  We need more people like Lin-Manuel Miranda to provide Millennials and those who follow them with a historical perspective.

There is much that can be learned on multiple levels from the Millennial Generation.  I think all of us need to consider what we can learn from the young adults who live and work among us.


No comments:

Post a Comment