Monday, July 11, 2016

Why Can’t We Just Get Along?

I grew up on the eastside of the Detroit.  During my elementary school years we lived close to the city limits but that all changed when the board of education bought all the houses on our block to expand the local school.  Most of our neighbors moved to the suburbs, but my parents made the decision to move in closer to the central city.  I am convinced that was a conscious decision on their part.  When most White people were preparing to flee the city, my parents reinvested in the city.  They lived in that house on Bedford for over forty years.  They remained there through the Riots of 67 and the countless ethnic changes and the economic decline.  Few of the original neighbors were left when my parent's declining health forced them to sell the house and move to a senior community.

How did my parents survive living in that neighborhood through all those transitions?  I would credit that on my dad and his passionate desire to get along with all people.  I can still picture my dad sitting on the front porch greeting anyone who would pass by.  The color of the skin or the clothes they wore made no difference.  He enjoyed talking with anyone about anything.  As a result, as my parent’s health declined their neighbors embraced and took care of them.  I honestly never worried about my parent’s safety in spite of the fact that they lived in a neighborhood where crime was an issue. 

I thought of my dad and his, “why can’t we all just get along attitude,” this weekend in the wake of the murder of five policemen here in Dallas.  Let me also say that Dallas is wonderful city, and for the tensions between police and the minority communities are low.  The downtown Dallas is vibrant and alive and I have always considered it safe.  Yet even in the midst of even a healthy community hatred can develop.  Hatred when it is allowed to fester can lead to violence. 


I am not saying that we could have prevented Micah Johnson from going on a shooting rampaged that targeted police officers.  I do believe that treating all people we meet with respect can make a difference.  Whether they live in a gated community in North Dallas or under a bridge downtown, each person is a unique child of God.  Only when we strive to love, respect and “Be Jesus” in the lives of the people we meet,” will we begin to see a change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment