Sunday, October 30, 2016

Reflections on the Election Dilemma

I cast my vote in the presidential election last week.  I choose to vote early for a couple of reasons.  One, it was a matter of convenience.  I could vote at our city hall which I pass by all the time.  My regular polling place is a bit out of the way for me.   Also based on my experience in the last few national elections, I anticipated a line on November 8th.  The major factor was I had reviewed the candidates and issues and made my decision.  In the end casting my ballot was easy.  There was no wait and I was in and out in ten minutes.  There were probably a half dozen other people voting at the same time.  Most of them were older adults.  Not surprising because it was mid-day and most of the population is working or busy doing other things.

From what I can gather, this election is going to be decided by citizens over the age of forty.  Part of the reason is that millennials for the most part are boycotting this election.  Like much of the population they are not enamored with either candidate.  A more noteworthy reason is many young adults supported Barry Sanders and lost interest once he was eliminated.  As a generational group millennials only get passionate about causes they believe in.  They really are not buying what either of the main party candidates stands for.  In the previous two presidential elections they passionately supported Barrack Obama, and played a major role in getting him elected.  I sense even some older adults feel a disdain toward both major candidates.  Unfortunately, many people are voting more against the other candidates than for the one the choosing.  Even this late in the process I hear a number of people who are on the fence in terms of how they are going to vote.


The truth is, unless something unprecedented takes place either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump is going to move into the Oval Office come January.  That makes them a central figure in the future of the free world.  Deciding who to vote for should come down to who we believe would best represent our nation on a global level.  We are not going to change the cultural climate or solve our nation’s problems by electing a president.  With that in mind I would encourage you to vote.  I have made my decision; I would call on you to do the same.  In the process we might even send a message to the younger generation.  Boycotting an election is not going to solve our problems.  We are a democracy and our future depends on everyone sharing in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment