Monday, December 19, 2016

A Christmas Prayer

Twenty years ago Concordia Publishing House published Real Men Pray: Prayer Thoughts for Husbands and Fathers, a book of devotional prayers that I had written. For this Christmas week I would like to share the prayer for Christmas.




This is Your day, Father.
Easter belongs to Jesus and
            His victory over death,
            but Christmas belongs to you.
I cannot imagine the struggle You must have
            gone through.
You allowed Your Son to become a
            human being and not only face
            the humiliation of a human life
            but even death itself.
And Jesus did it for the sake of all people,
            many of whom could not have cared less.

Sometimes this fact restrains my Christmas
            celebration.
All the world appears joyful as
            “Peace on earth” becomes the cliché
            of the day.
Everybody becomes religious as they
            celebrate the birth of a Child
            they might not know personally.
Father, others might struggle to understand
            my melancholy attitude.
As a father, I reflect on your cost.
I pray that You would make me a disciple
            worthy of the price You and Jesus paid.
As a sinner, I know I can never measure up.
And as a redeemed saint,
            I know I can never stop trying.
Father, thank you for Christmas and the new life
            You have given me.  

Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment