Sunday, January 15, 2017

Reflections of MLK Day

Tomorrow is Martin Luther King Day. Having lived through the turbulent sixties, I marvel at how things have changed. I recall sitting in a junior high classroom and hearing my teacher talk in an angry tone about how disgusted she was at seeing a "nice young white man" give up his seat on a bus to a "colored woman." I have visited the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit where the bus that Rosa Parks took her historical stance on is displayed.   I recall reaching the back of that bus where I found a mom explaining the significance of the event to her two grade school age children. This time it was a White family in the back of the bus.

I once almost had a close encounter with Dr. King. I was in 8th grade and a member of our church basketball team. Our games were played on Saturday morning in the gym at Grosse Pointe High School. Grosse Pointe was, and still is, a very affluent suburb of Detroit. In those days it was highly segregated. Dr. King was scheduled to speak at the school that afternoon. His appearance was high controversial. There was a strong police presence as we left after our 11:00 AM game, some angry people stood behind barricades.  They were holding signs that said some pretty ugly things.  It was scary.

I was home in Detroit on spring break from college on that night in 1968 when Dr. King was shot. I was at church. I had been recruited to sing with the church choir for Easter. A member of the bass section was the one who broke the news. "The King is dead," he said with a smile. There was a real sense of satisfaction in his voice.   I knew differently.  My dad had taught me that.  He loved all people, regardless of race.   It was that attitude that allowed my parents to live in the same neighborhood on the Detroit’s eastside for over sixty years, until their health failed in 2004. 

Today we live in a house where my neighbors are Hispanic, Indian, Vietnamese and Cambodian. I recently remarked, "all we need is a Black Family to move in to make things complete."


Thank Dr. King for being the catalyst for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment