Saturday, July 28, 2018

Kortni's Last Request

This blog first appeared on August 4, 2011.  It has been seven years since Kortni Marshall died.  I wish I could say things have changed but the reality is substance abuse is still a reality.  It has been a couple of years since I shared it.  I thought it was time.

The realities of our sinful world have hit me hard over the last week. On Friday night my brother, Jim, called me to tell me of the death of his wife's nephew. Jason was only thirty, but had a hard life. His mother deserted their family, and he struggled with a bi-polar like disorder. Jason also battled he demons of addiction. He had spent time in prison, but was finally putting things back together. He was in a halfway house and had even reconnected with his family. They found him dead Friday afternoon.

On Saturday I got news of the sudden death of one of my former Lutheran High students, Kortni Marshall. Kortni and her twin sister, Kimberly, were in our daughter Katie's class. My memories are of a smiling, pixie-like face. Kortni was too innocent, almost naive, but always full of life. There was another side to Kortni. Like Jason, she fought the demons of addiction. Her last request is posted on the Dallas Lutheran Alumni page on Facebook. Tell everyone, "Addiction is real, and it is a disease that can kill you."

Drugs and alcohol are a reality in the teenage world. The choices kids make can lead to tragedy and heartbreak later on.

Two realities:

The average teenager has their first experience with alcohol during the middle school years. Most of the time it takes place in an unchaperoned home environment.

While drugs have been an issue since I was in college, the culture is much different today. The marijuana available today is twenty times stronger than the stuff smoked in the sixties and seventies. It's usually laced with other drugs that are designed to create dependence.

Kortni was a baptized and redeemed child of God. She now rests in Jesus' strong arms. The demons can harm her no more. Just remember her last request. Please talk about this issue with your teens. "Addiction is real, and it is a disease that can kill you." I only wish Kortni was still here to deliver that message personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment