Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Election Day 2018: A Reason for Hope


Today was midterm Election Day.  I took advantage of early voting. I can do that at our local City Hall.  It is a matter of convenience; for some unknown reason I have to drive past another voting location to get to my assigned polling place. Voting in advance did not mean I avoided some Election Day politicking.

Our current State Representative, Matt Rinaldi, has the reputation of being the most outspoken conservative in the Texas House.  Obviously, he is a Republican.  His Democratic opponent, Julie Johnson, has made it clear she takes a more liberal view of all the issues.  Matt Rinaldi is strong border control, gun right and school vouchers.  Julie Johnson’s stance is the exact opposite on all the issue. 

My encounter with Election Day electioneering took place when I stopped by our local library, which just happens to be the polling place I pass should I choose to go to my assigned spot. Today I was greeted by a young man representing Matt Rinaldi and two women who were supporting the efforts of Julie Johnson.  Surprisingly, they were all smiling and standing in close in close proximity. 

The conversation began with me assuring them that I had already cast my vote. They all thanked me.  My next question was how it was going?  I was curious on the overall mood of the voters. They all agreed that people were more passionate then they had anticipated.  It confirmed my opinion that there is a lot of emotion on both sides of the issue.

I did leave the conversation with a bit of hope.  Even when another Julie Johnson campaign worker showed up, making it 3-1 in favor of the Democrats, the tenor of the discussion stayed positive.  We all agreed that we were troubled by the deep divide when it comes to key issues.  Like me they are concerned about the anger and bitterness expressed by our leaders. 

Oh yes, I had to pass by the same campaign workers on my way back to my car. They were engaged in friendly conversation and I smiled and thanked them.   I can only pray the atmosphere is contagious.  It is amazing what happens when we smile and listen to each other. 


No comments:

Post a Comment