Monday, December 17, 2018

Christmas Carols: Give me The Traditional Contemporary


One of joys of the Christmas season is the music that serves as the backdrop for my celebration.  Unlike some, I do try to maintain some parameters.  The first Sunday in Advent, not Thanksgiving, marks the beginning of the season.  And I will continue to enjoy the music of the season right through to Epiphany.  It seems like each of the traditional carols has a memory attached to it.  Years of caroling with church youth groups and singing in a choir on Christmas Eve probable have something to do with that.  I still get moved singing Silent Night by candlelight on Christmas Eve, and Joy to The World is always an  appropriate way to put an exclamation point on that service.   I guess I have taught my children well,  Both carols are on the schedule to be sung at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church this Christmas Eve.  I will be singing bass, while our daughter, Katie, directs the orchestra and choir.  

I have grown to love many of the contemporary Christmas songs as well.  The message of the birth of the Christ Child knows no bounds when it comes to hymns of praise.  Here are five of my favorites.   I hope you will find time to listen to them. 

Emmanuel/Hallowed Manger Ground, by Chris Tomlin and Ed Cash

While Chris Tomlin is known for some of his upbeat songs like Your Grace is Enough, he also has the ability to take the traditional and make it new.  Chris Tomlin also seems to have  with a sense of Church history.  Consider this verse:

“What fear we had in the silent age,
400 hundred years, could he be found.
Then broken by a baby cry,
Rejoice in the hallowed manger ground.
Emmanuel, God incarnate here to dwell”

Breath of Heaven, by Amy Grant and Chris Eaton

Amy Grant’s lyrics give us some insight into Mary’s feelings and thoughts as she carried the infant Jesus in her womb.

“I have traveled many moonless nights
Cold and weary with a babe inside
And I’ve wondered what I’ve done Holy Father,
You have come and chosen me to bear your son….
Breath of Heaven

Welcome to Our World, by Chris Rice

One of my fondest memories is listening to our three children sing this song.

“Wrap our injured flesh around you,
Breath our air and walk our sod.
Rob our sins and make us holy,
Perfect Son of God.
Welcome to our World.”

Manger Throne, by Julie Miller

To my knowledge this gem can only be found on the City of a Hill Christmas Time CD.  On the album it is sung by Mac Powell of Third Day.

“What kind of king would leave his throne,
In heaven to make the earth his home.
While men seek fame and great renowned
In lowliness, Our King comes down.”

All is Well, Words by Wayne Kirkpatrick and Music by Michael W. Smith

One of the anticipated highlights of this Christmas Eve is singing this song with the Prince of Peace Lutheran Church choir and orchestra.

“All is well, all is well.
Let there be peace of earth.
Christ has come, go and tell,
That He is in a manger. 
Sing Alleluia.”

A Blessed Christmastide to you and your family.

Pass the Torch.


No comments:

Post a Comment