Sunday, February 10, 2019

Staying Healthy: Are Teens Missing the Point?


I’ve learned some hard lessons when it comes to taking care of myself.  A few years back the doctor informed me that I needed to make some changes.  I was a borderline diabetic.  Since then “diet and exercise” has been my mantra.  I have lost twenty-five pounds since that tough discussion.  An app on my phone helps me keep track of my steps.  I try to walk two miles a day.  I also try to keep a regular routine when it comes to sleep to insure I get at least eight hours each night.  I also try to surround myself with friends who support, encourage and keep me spiritually focused. 

Unfortunately, I am probably doing a better job than most American teenagers.  A recent study done by the University of Texas reveals that only 5% of teens are meeting federal guidelines when it comes to sleep and physical activity.  The study added screen time as a third criterion when it came to a healthy lifestyle.  The study was based on guidelines from the Department of Health and Human Services.  The recommendation is for eight to ten hours of sleep per night, one hour of moderate exercise and two hours or less screen time each day.

I was not surprised at the news.  It has been over ten years since I was a high school counselor but even then I knew most of our students were sleep deprived.  Other than athletes, most of them led pretty sedimentary lifestyles.  Most students had cell phones back then but overuse of mobile devices was not the concern it is now.  Screen time is much more an issue today with all the phone apps and the access to tablets.

It is going to take a major effort to reverse the trend.  Perhaps the best thing that we can do as adults is to set a good example.  A word of support and encouragement to the teens and young adults in our lives might be a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment