Reflecting on my years in youth ministry, I must admit I
was more often motivated by numbers than I was in discipling teens. Cutting myself some slack, there were some
members of my youth group with whom I had a close relationship. I was very intentional when it came to
equipping them to live out their faith. Still,
I was very aware that in the eyes of others, especially the pastor and church
leadership, I was going to be evaluated on the level of participation. I also must confess that self-pride was
involved when I met with peers and we started comparing numbers.
These thoughts came to mind as I read a recent article
published by the Barna Group. Barna
identified five measurable characteristics of a holistic and active faith.
Spiritual practice - Praying and reading the Bible
regularly
Evangelism – Sharing faith with others
Service – Volunteer and use talents to serve others
Belonging – Spend time with church friends
Calling – Feel called to integrate their faith with future
career plans
As I considered the list, I was drawn to the reality that
those are the same characteristic. we look for in disciples across the
generations. I need to be striving for
the same goals in my ministry to older adults.
In the case of the Barna report, while over half of
Christian teens participate in youth group, only one in four (18%) showed signs
of a holistic and active faith.
The unfortunate reality is that we, as a church, usually do
a poor job of discipling people of all ages.
Again, we still are drawn to evaluate our ministry in terms of
numbers. These days, if we can just keep
the pews full and the budget balanced, we feel we are doing okay. As a result,
often our goal is to just keep people happy and maintain status quo, rather
than reaching the lost.
We must be discipling people of all ages, but especially the
next generation, it needs to be a community effort. While we might add staff members to
coordinate youth and children’s ministry, we must be ready to partner with them
in the effort. Discipleship is a
community responsibility.
No comments:
Post a Comment