Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It Only Toasts on One Side

We had a minor fire in our kitchen last Friday. I was toasting a bagel and smelled smoke. The source was the toaster. Sure enough there was a little flame deep inside. I quickly force the lever up, releasing my now well toasted bagel and then waited until the flame went out. It couldn't have been to big a deal the smoke detector didn't even go off.

I didn't discover the damage until yesterday morning. This time it was cinnamon bread and it was only toasted on one side. You guessed it! The little fire had destroyed the heating element in the middle of the toaster. It still works fine but only toasts one side at a time.

I mentioned it to Barb who reminded me that she had bought the toaster second hand so not much would be lost if we had to replace it. I decided this morning I can live with a little inconvenience. A broken toaster is just a little pinch. I can add it to the other little pinches in life, like Dallas traffic jams and telemarketers. In the total scope of things it's all pretty insignificant. I am extremely blessed, even in these "difficult economic times." I have a comfortable house, a loving family and a God who has insured my eternal salvation.

That would be my good word to you today. When life gives you those little pinches consider them in the total scope of things. I think we spend too much time getting "bent out of shape" over things that quite frankly don't matter in the long-term. As parents we need to be especially aware of this because the way we handle life's pinches serves as a model to our kids. Maybe this will open the door to a heart-to-heart discussion with them on what really matters. Being loved by God is far more important than having my bread toasted on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment