Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Wanting to Rush The Finished Product

I still build model cars. I am a NASCAR fan so I usually buy kits that feature race cars that have some historical value or special meaning to me. OK, tell me I am still a kid at heart. In actuality it one way I pass the time while watching the races on TV each weekend.

Each kits starts with close to a hundred parts, many of the quite small. I am grateful for the instructions that take me step by step through the building process. I am often tempted to just look at the picture on the box and just proceed. Afterall, I've built models before. But I've learned to follow the directions and not skip steps. There is a reason behind every step and why they are placed in that order. To try to rush things, skips steps and do it myself, could ruin the project.

I thought of that this morning as I watch a small segmnt of Good Morning America. It featured a mom who is grooming her two year old daughter to be a beauty queen. I guess in this warpped, self obsorbed world, there are even have beauty contest for toddlers. I am sure this mom means well. As I recall they said she was a teacher by trade. But give me a break. I think she was looking at the picture of the finished project, what she wants her daughter to become, and skipping some steps along the way.

Previously I've written about the danger of living our dreams vicariously through our kids. I see this as another example. It's not a danger limited to the athletic field. The dream scould be of our child as a singer, actor or professional model. When we do that, we want to rush the process. Plan things out now, our way. The danger is that our broken dream becomes their nightmare and in the process we rob them of their childhood.

Give your kids a hug today, and then set them free to pursue their dreams. Don't force your broken dreams on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment