Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I've Seen That Look Before

I have been on the road for over a week so I am a little behind in my blogging. It's not that I haven't wanted to write, I have wanted to address one particular issue numerous times. The topic is Lindsay Lohan and her jail sentence.

Those who know me probably find this a bit strange, maybe even humorous. When it comes to Hollywood personalities, I plead total ignorance, but there is one image of Miss Lohan that I cannot get out of my head. It's the expression on her face when the judge announced the jail sentence.

I don't know Lindsay Lohan. I understand she was a good childhood actress who has made some poor choices in recent years. While I am not familiar with her, I do know the expression. I saw it countless times during my years as a school counselor. It usually came after a student was confronted with the evidence, and the reality that there would be consequences. Sometimes it was because we had discovered drugs in their locker, or maybe they had cheated on a test. The look was usually accompanied a shocked expression conveying, "This can't be happening to me." What followed was usually a rationalization for the behavior and a promise that if they are let off it won't happen again. Tears also flowed as part of the emotional outburst. Somewhere along the lines they hope they can arouse sympathy, maybe even some guilt.

Don't fall into the trap. What is the old expression? Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me. This was not a first offense for Miss Lohan. She has fooled us and the authorities numerous times. Shame on the system for not giving her a strong dose of reality once before. It is only when she is confronted with the reality of her addictive behavior that Lindsay Lohan has any chance at all of turning her life around.

All parents need to have their radar up to detect any at risk behavior. Such behavior needs to be confronted and dealt with. No amount of emotional drama should ever deter a parent from doing what they have to do to address the issue and stop the behavior.

If Lindsay Lohan is lacking for anything, it's for people in her life who will hold her accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment