Monday, July 26, 2010

The Value of Family

I recently returned from two family reunions. My family, minus brother David who had an emergency in his wife's family, gathered in Pennsylvania. Barb's family met in Grand Rapids, Michigan to celebrate the 25th anniversary of her sister and brother-in-law. It seems that I value these events more and more as I grow older. They seem far too short and not frequent enough for me.

It was our choice to move to Texas and away from extended family twenty-two years ago. I think our kids have turned out OK even though they haven't had the support system of family close by. We have depended on other adults to mentor our kids. Still I value the relationships we as family have with the uncles, aunts and cousins around the country. I especially cherish the time spent with my mom (age 89) and her brother, Don, (87). They are all that we have left of the previous generation.

One of the realities of the world we live is our mobility. We often tend to live apart from immediate family. We rely on the ease of travel to allow us to gather for holidays and to mark family celebrations. The reality is, we need personal contact to insure the continuation of family heritage and faith traditions. The internet does allow us to connect with friends and family around the country. I admit that I do stay in touch with extended family that way. We also try to talk on the phone on a regular basis. But none of those are a substitute for face-to-face, personal conversation.

Make sure that your extended family is a part of your children's life. Each of us has a story to tell. Make sure those you love have the opportunity to share theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment