Monday, August 16, 2010

My Quest

For this entry I am departing from my usual entries. No advice for parents. Today I need your help and encouragement. I have started a personal quest and I need those of you who know me and follow my blog to pray for me and also hold me accountable. Let me give you some background.

As I shared recently, I went on a mission trip with my daughter Katie. We spent four days in Booneville, Arkansas. On the last night we joined other members of our team for a worship service at one of the local churches. During the message the young pastor challenged those present. His text was Ezekiel 22:19,

"I looked for a man among men who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none."
He noted that Booneville is a city under attack. Unemployment is high and 40% of the people live below the povertry line. Many of the people are turning to drugs, especially meth, and alcohol. He asked for those of us on the mission team to stand in prayer at the downtown inter-section the next morning before we left the town. Katie and I did do that, by the way.

The leader of the team had asked me to lead the devotions for our group that evening. No problem, except it was one of those moments when I put my mouth in gear before engaging my brain. I not only challenged the families in our group to pray for the City of Booneville but to follow it up by standing in the gap and praying for their local community when they got home. OK so far, but I then told them I was going to that by doing a prayer walk through my city, Farmers Branch, Texas. Yes, I planned to walk every residential street in our community over the next two years. I immediately knew I was in trouble, because my daughter was present and she is one who will hold me to my word. I also knew the challenge. Farmers Branch is a city of over 25,000 residents. That's a lot of square miles.

When I returned home I started my quest. It was easy at first. I even printed some small business cards that I shared with people as I walked. Unfortunately I began this task when Dallas is in the midst of a string of 100 degree plus days. Satan did creep in, and I began to question my sanity.

I have been pausing to read the Psalms at various times as I walk. This morning as I came across a verse that I think will become the theme for this quest.

"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain."
Psalm 127:1
As I read the verse I was surrounded by beautiful homes, with finely manicured lawns, but all of that means nothing if God is not present there. That is my plea. That somehow God will claim the town I live in and that his will is accomplished in and through it.
So, I ask for your prayers and support. Continue to challenge me to keep my commitment. I am not asking you to do the same thing, although that would be pretty cool. Just think of the difference we could make.

No comments:

Post a Comment