Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Dallas Mavericks: Teachable Moments

Sports fans not just in the DFW community, but across th country, have been captivated by the Dallas Mavericks and their winning the NBA Championship. Those who know me are aware that I have a certain disdain when it comes to professional basketball. As a coach myself, I compare the NBA to the World Wrestling Federation: Way too much drama. It might be called basketball, but it's not the way the game was intended to be played. The twenty-four second clock puts too much emphasis on offense, which is only half the game. Secondly, some of the violations, like traveling and palming the ball, are seldom called. I could go on, but you get the picture.

I am, however, excited for the DFW community. It's nice to go through an entire month and not hear a word from Jerry Jones or the Cowboys, especially since the Rangers seem to have returned to mediocrity. In my opinion, the Mavericks won because they could play defense. I am also happy for Dirk Nowitzki because her seems to be the anti-hero, shy and pretty humble.

For parents: there are some teachable moments in the success that the Mavericks have found. It begins with Team Work. The Miami Heat had the superstars, but the Mavericks had players who could function as a unit. As I watched Game 6 I was amazed at their passing skills and the way they anticipated each others moves. Secondly: They model commitment . Dirk had his opportunities to play elsewhere, but chose to stay in Dallas because he felt he owed it to the fans. Even owner, Mark Cuban, showed a sense of commitment to others. His decision to have former owner, Don Carter, receive the trophy was very classy. Lastly: for the most part the Mavericks let their actions speak for themselves. There was little trash talking and no gloating or celebrating on the court until their mission was accomplished.

In the midst of celebrating the Championship, take time to talk with your teens about what we can learn from the Mavericks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom,

    Great article. Like you, I usually don't follow the NBA - even the playoffs. But I really got into the final series between the Mavericks and Heat. Having grown up with Al Kaline (like you) and, more recently, Steve Yzerman - I have a lot of respect for guys who stay committed to their team and help them become winners. This was Dirk Nowitzki.

    You hit the nail on the head with the other point too. The entire Dallas team played as a team and they brought down a team that, on paper, they should not have beaten. Heart won out over talent, although you could certainly debate the talent of a guy like Lebron James who was basically a no-show in the final 10-12 minutes of all 7 games.

    My son Chris and I watched Game 2 at our house. I can't tell you how excited and happy we both were when Dallas came back and won that game. That said it all to me. They could have quit right there - lost the game; lost the series - and I don't think anyone would have been surprised or faulted Dallas. That game was the series.

    If there is a lesson to be learned it just might be to never quit - even when all looks quite bleak. Heart can win out over talent.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Take care, Tom.

    Your friend, Chuck

    ReplyDelete