Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Passing the Torch

My primary project this summer has been working on a new book. I've tentatively titled the book Passing the Torch: Conveying our heritage of faith and values to the next generation. My original target audience was grandparents, but I've expanded it to all those over the age of fifty.

Grandparenting is still very much on my mind. That's especially the case as I write this. Barb and I are coming off three days of watching our grandsons while our son, Peter, and his wife had much needed break from parenting. Something about watching three little boys, ages 7, 5 and 3, that tends to make you feel exhausted. Still, we were staying on their home turf so their routine was not disrupted. It does require a different approach to grandparenting, however. Under normal circumstance we just try to love the boys but without mom and dad around we had to handle the discipline issues too. We weren't up thirty minutes on our second morning before the first incident occured. Three year old Jonathan's scream caught my attention. As I rushed to check on him, Caleb,the five year old brushed past me. Jonathan would not tell me what happened, but I was sure it involved one of his brothers. No blood or visible bruises, so I moved on. As I made my way to the kitchen to refil my coffee mug I noticed Caleb sitting on the "timeout chair" in the front hallway. When I inquired as to why, he informed me that he had pinched his brother. "Let me get this straight. You put yourself in timeout?" I asked. He then went on to tell me what happened, and admitted making a "poor choice." Be assured, we did have our moments and we did have to apply some discipline, but I came away with an appreciation for the routine that Peter and Amy have established.

I was also reminded of the heritage of faith and values after we went to the theater to watch Cars 2. Following the movie we took the boys of McDonalds for ice cream sundaes. We let them use the playland for a time before we ordered their treats. When we called them, Jonathan was the first to arrived. Much to my surprise, before he took a bite, he bowed his head and recited the same prayer they use before meals. Maybe, there is hope that the torch can be passed. Infact, in this case he taught me a lesson. Whether it's pizza and salad or ice cream, I need to be thanking the God who gave them to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment