Friday, December 30, 2011

Not Every Christmas is Bright

I commmented on the topic of peace this Christmas in my last entry. I had a reminder on Christmas Eve. I attended four services that night, a reality when both your wife and daughter are church musicians. It was in the 6:00 PM service at our home church that I observed someone who was seeking Christmas peace. The church was packed. I was standing in the sound booth at the rear, observing how to operate the video system - my responsibility the following morning. I noticed a middle age couple enter well after the first hymn. They found two of the few remaining seats in the last row. I did not recognize them and they gave all the signs of being visitors. The demeanor and appearance led me to believe they were successful professional people. They were good looking and well dressed. I thought nothing of it. Lots of guests on Christmas Eve.

It was during the message that I first heard the wimpering. I looked down to see the man with his head in his hands. The wife reached over and rubbed the back of his neck, comforting him. Ben Sheck, who was preaching that evening, used a video clip from A Charlie Brown Christmas. He talked of how we are all like the Christmas tree that Charlie Brown claimed as his own. We've been rejected by everyone else but God claims us, ugly as we are. Ben also asked us to focus on Linus, as he recited the Christmas Story. As Linus spoke the words of the angel, "Fear not I bring you tidings of great joy," he dropped his security blanket. Ben spoke of how we need to let go of the earthly things that we cling to and trust only in The Christ Child. That is where true peace is found.

As Ben talked, the sobbing continued. Before me was someone who was experiencing brokeness this Christmas. No amount of comfort from his wife could stem the tears. I wanted to go and hug the man, let him know I heard his cry.

The couple stayed for the prayers but they snuck out during the lighting on the candles in preparation for Silent Night. I only hope the Holy Spirit touched the man; That somewhere in the message he found the peace he was seeking.

All you, beneath your heavy load, by care and guilt bent low,
Who toil along a dreary way with painful steps and slow;
Look up, for golden is the hour, come swiftly on the wing,
The Prince was born to bring you peace; Of Him the angels sing.

The image of that one individual has stayed with me this holiday. I have counted my blessing as we celebrated Christ's Birth as a family. There was a lot of joy in our home, but I am blessed. Not everyone had peace this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment