Thursday, January 5, 2012

Parenting a Parent

As I write this, I am Detroit visiting my mom. She's ninety and lives in a senior community. Mom is in generally good health, but her eyesight is failing. She has had to wear a hearing aid all of her adult life and is almost totally deaf without it. That's two senses down. I just took her to lunch and I can report that there is nothing wrong with her sense of taste,sense of balance and sense of humor too I might add.

I've been in this environment for less than twenty-four hours and have already reached a couple of conclusions. The relaxed pace is nice, but there's no way I am ready for this lifestyle full-time. Secondly, I am grateful that I have the relationship with my mom that I do. Not all families are as close as ours. And to be honest, we all need each other.

There is no doubt that she relies on us. My brother who lives only twenty minutes from her shoulders much of the responsibility, but the rest of us pitch in too. Mostly, I try to stay in touch with a phone call every Sunday. She always quick to remind me how much she looks forward to those.

I guess my word to parents with children still at home is; cultivate those relationships. Learn to love unconditionally. I know I put my parents through some grief, but they've never reminded me of that. The door has always been open and hugs readily available.

I am confident that our kids will treat me in the same manner should I live another twenty plus years. Twenty years ago, sixty-five seemed a long way off. Funny how quickly it got here and how time just seems to continue to march along.

Is it really 2012?

1 comment:

  1. ....say hi to your mom from me and give me her phone number so I can clue her in to what is about to occur on this earth as she is right in harm's way !!!

    ReplyDelete