Wednesday, May 2, 2012

ONE TEEN ISSUE THAT CAN BE SOLVED

Our teens are at risk. Unfortunately many of the issues threatening our teens are out of our control. When we allow them behind the wheel of a car we run the risk that that they might make a fatal decision. As much as we preach about the dangers of substance abuse, some teens are still going to experiment with drugs and alchohol. Another reality is teen suicide. We can know the warning signs, but even then some kids will slip through the cracks and decide to end their own lives.

So what is the teen issue that can be addressed and solved? It's obesity. The reason we need to address it: Type 2 diabetes.

According to a recently released report done by the University of Colorado Denver, a third of American children and teens are overweight and obese. Such kids are at a higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.

I am familiar with Type 2 diabetes because it runs in my family. Five years ago my doctor told me I was a borderline diabetic. As a result my mantra became, "diet and exercise." I watch what I eat and I walk two miles at least five times a week. I monitor my blood sugar. When I had my last physical the topic of diabetes never came up.

As adults we can teach our kids the value of good nutrition. We can model that behavior by being responsible eaters as well. We can make sure our kids are getting their proper exercise and be an example there as well. We can control what is eaten within our homes.

Our grandsons, ages 4 - 8, were staying in our home over the Christmas holiday. I happen to pass through the kitchen during breakfast time. Grandma had placed the various cereal options on the kitchen table. I was surprised to hear five year old Caleb reading the nutritional value of each one. He knew exactly how many grams of sugar and protein each contained. If a five year old gets it, why not a fifteen year old?

No comments:

Post a Comment