Thursday, August 30, 2012

Not Goodbye... Just See You Later

Changes are part of life.  Some changes make us uncomfortable, others challenge us and still others cause us grief.  We might experience the loss of a job, a major relocation or the loss of a loved one.  As I write this, Barb and I are in the middle of a major change.  For the last fifteen years she has been the music director at Crown of Life Lutheran Church in Colleyville, Texas.  I said my goodbyes last Sunday and today is her last official day in the office.  We've done this before.  It's a reality of being in ministry.  Crown of Life is our fifth church in forty-three years of marriage.  A blessing is that we have friends all over the country.

I only know this parting feels different.  Some it is due to Barb's length of tenure, but for me a greater factor is what we have been through as a church and as a family.  Crown of Life is a growing church with lots of great ministries.  As is often the case such churches are susceptible to attacks from Satan.  We have weather two of those in the last few years.  On a family level: During our time at Crown of Life, Barb has lost both of her parents and my dad died from cancer.  Barb has had two surgeries for cancer and it's something she still lives with.  Five years ago, at age 61, I found myself unemployed and had to make career adjustments.  There have been family blessing as well.  All three of our children have married during our years at the church and we've added three grandsons.  Through it all our church family has been a stable factor in our lives.  They have shared both our grief and our joys. 

I look to the future with full confidence that God has some new adventures in store for us.  In time we will find a new church family.  In the same way, I am filled with anticipation because I know God has some awesome things in store for Barb.  By the way: She has made it clear she is not retiring. 

My message to you is that you can be surrounded by friends and family, but there is no more caring group than a worshipping community.  If you are a member of one, celebrate that.  If you don't, find one.  The people of God have a marvelous way of caring for each other.  The church is also vital for parents because it is through that community that the heritage of faith is passed on.

I received a lot of hugs last Sunday, along with promises to "stay in touch."  Experience tells me that even if we do get together it's never quite the same, but the other beautiful aspect of the Body of Believers is that we never really do say, "goodbye."  Rather we say, "see you later," in anticipation of the joyful reunion in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment