Friday, September 28, 2012

Ugly Americans or Compassionate Disciples?

The death of an ambassador, the attack on our embassies, and the riots in the streets are all examples of the hatred that many of those in the Middle East harbor against Americans.  We might ask: Where does this hatred come from?  After all, most of us are peace-loving people.  I've had a few weeks to contemplate an answer to the question.  While it's easy to blame the recent video, The Innocence of Muslim, or even the Florida pastor who has made burning Korans a part of his ministry, I believe the source lies much beyond those specific events.

Unfortunately, I view myself as part of the problem.  I must admit a certain bias when it comes to those who are of Middle Eastern descent.  I find many things about their culture strange and hard to understand.  As a result I try to avoid them, or at least limit my contact.  Only recently have I begun to ask myself, why.  Most of them are peace-loving people like myself.  I had one tell me recently that they view the theorist in their culture in the same way we view the serial killers in ours.  Most Muslims grieve the events of 9/11, and other attacks, much the same as the rest of us.

It might sound simplistic to say the answer is Jesus, but I truly believe we need to consider how Jesus responded to those who did not share his Jewish heritage.  While Jesus came as the Hebrew Messiah, he did not limit his ministry to the Jews.  In Matthew 15; Jesus travels to the cities of Tyre and Sidon where he ministers to a Canaanite woman.  There are also numerous accounts of people from other regions coming to hear him preach.  Probably the best example is found in John 4 where Jesus encounters the Samaritan woman.  The Samaritans were despised by the Jews, but Jesus only saw a woman who was lost.

In every case Jesus accepted the individuals for who they are.  He shared his message of salvation with all, without regard to color, race or creed.  Now, as his contemporary disciples, he calls us to do the same.  Can we put an immediate end to the hatred being directed at our country?  No, but we can try to establish a relationship with those who do not know Jesus.  Without that relationship they might never know the hope that lies within us.

Our tolerance is a powerful lesson we can teach our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment