Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Saints in My Life

Today is All Saints Day.  It's ironic that I am in Michigan, because I grew up here.  The saints who impacted my early life all lived here.  Some of them were relatives: like my dad and my grandparents.  Others were adults who I knew through church and school: Pastor George Kurz, my Sunday school teachers and youth group counselors.  One of those special saints was my Aunt Phyllis.

Phyllis Ulbrich was my mother's younger sister.  Neither she or my mother's brother ever married.  Aunt Phyllis and Uncle Don were my Baptism sponsors, which made them my godparents.  They took that role seriously and actually were like another set of parents.  Aunt Phyllis took me to my first movie, Peter Pan, and in my college years took responsibility for sending me care packages.  We vacationed together for a week each summer at a cottage on Lake Huron.  Aunt Phyllis was also my first grade Sunday school teacher.  She taught the first grade Sunday school class at St. James Lutheran Church for over thirty years, until her health declined.  She was only in her mid-fifties when rheumatoid arthritis took her life.   I still miss her.  Aunt Phyllis, along with other adults in my life, were my moral compass.  She never hesitated to share her opinion or call me on my behavior. 

Who are the significant adults in the lives of your children?  All kids need a support system.  They need to be surrounded by other adults who share the values and faith system of their parents.  Sunday school has become passe and participation in church youth activities is on the decline.  Even church attendance is considered optional to some families.  Today's mentors are coaches, scout leaders and other adults.  There is nothing wrong with that, but I have to wonder who is passing on the heritage of faith and reinforcing the Christian values?

All Saints Day might be a good time to stop and ask, "Who are the  Saints in the lives of your kids?"

No comments:

Post a Comment