Saturday, December 29, 2012

Reflections on Entering a New Year

There is something about the week between Christmas and New Years Day that puts me in a  contemplative mood. It is probably enhanced by the fact that the house is quite again, after the Christmas Celebration earlier this week.  We had all the kids and grand kids here for twenty-four hours.  What a delight! 

Perhaps it is because I am growing old, and slowing down too I might add, I probably spent more time watching and listening this Christmas than in years past.  I still find it hard to believe that I am closer to seventy, than I am sixty.  Where has the time gone?  Forty-three years of marriage, three married children and three grandsons.  I guess I really am old, but then I talk to my mom who is ninety-one (something I do every Sunday) and she puts things in perspective.  Mom has always had trouble hearing and now her eyes are failing as well, but she still finds reasons to celebrate life.  There is little complaining.  She is more concerned about my welfare and that of my family than anything else.

So what does all this mean, as we stand on the brink of 2013?  I don't know what the year will hold.  I am sure there there will changes - especially if our leaders can't get together and find a solution to this fiscal crisis our nation is in.  Getting older does open up the possibility of health issues.  My wife, Barb, is still going through the transition into retirement.  Through it all I can honestly say that God is good and faithful.  Our future here on this earth is always in a state of flux, but our future is secure.  The Christ Child took care of that.  2013,  like 2012, will be another year to rest in the arms of His Peace. 

As one year rolls into the next, this is the message we must convey to our children and grandchildren.  Jesus told his disciples, "In this world you will have trouble, but fear not: I have overcome the world." (John 16:33b).



No comments:

Post a Comment