Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Real Winner at These Olympics

I have never been a big fan of the Olympics.  The Summer Games are held in the middle of baseball season.  I will pick America's pastime over sprinter and swimmers any day.  This Winter Olympics I have actually enjoyed watching each evening.  And I could empathize with Bob Costas and his battle with pinkeye.  I guess teachers everywhere wow can identify with him: occupational hazard.  OK, I still don't understand figure skating, but I will admit they are great athletes.  I still like the events where the first one to the finish line wins.  From that standpoint, skiing was probably my favorite event.

I felt some patriotic spirit as I watch the medal winners, skiers Mikaela Shiffrin and Ted Ligity in particular standout.  I especially enjoyed watching Noelle Pikus-Pace and her family celebrate after her winning the women's skeleton.  Going down an icy track at 80 miles-an-hour face-first takes some kind courage.  I was also moved by Bode Miller's emotional show of grief, although I still think the reporter was out of line.  Probably the memory that will stick with me was watching the women's hockey team in their overtime loss to Canada.  Two goals up with three minutes to go....  Heartbreak. 

Hats off to the Russians for not only winning more metals but for doing a great job of hosting.  There was another winner that got almost no press during the event.  It would be the terrorist that threatened to disrupt the event. In the end, nothing happened.  Sochi turned out to be a great location, Still the terrorist won because they accomplished their goal; they created fear in our mind.  I feel bad for the people, like the parents of some participants, who stayed home because they felt their lives would be in danger if they went.

That's the world we live in since 9/11.  We feel threatened.  I am reminded of the evil world we live in every time I have to go through airport security; which I do every Wednesday as I volunteer as a DFW Airport Ambassador.  It's a challenge even for those of us who live in the hope of the Resurrection.  Still, that is what we are called to do.  If we live courageously, we give those around us permission to live that way as well.  That's the message we want to share as we Pass the Torch.

No comments:

Post a Comment