Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Pre-Election Blues

Tuesday is a primary election day in Texas.  I really am looking forward going to the polls, but not just because I enjoy exercising my right to vote.  It has to do with all the campaign ads.  With the election over I will get a reprieve, at least until it's time for the runoffs.   I am tired of politicians telling me they deserve my vote because they will: stand up to Washington and "Obama." They obviously did not read my blog from a few weeks back.  They all claim to be "true conservatives" who belong to the NRA and want to protect our borders.  While all of the above bothers me, what really irritates me is the negative commercials.  Some of the ads do not even tell me who has sponsored them.  They are just attacks questioning the honesty and integrity of one of the candidates.

I have had two personal encounters that only reinforce my feelings.  I was working in the yard one Saturday when a young man wearing jeans and cowboy hat approached me.  He was carrying an I-pad, which I suppose informed him of my name, party affiliation and who knows what else.  Turns out he is the son of one of the candidates running for state office.  I was already familiar with his dad because he is running a very negative campaign against our long-standing State Senator.  In this case I have personally met our current senator on two occasions.   Both times he listened to me and seemed to be more interested in what I stood for than in telling me about what he had done for me.  I only had minutes of one on one time, but I sensed I had his attention.   I told the young man up-front that my decision had already been made, since he was running against a politician I liked and respected  That did not stop him from telling me lots of negative things about the incumbent.  He even dropped the term "liberal," which knowing the candidates record I had to chuckle at.  I finally excused myself and returned to my yard work.  The next weekend another candidate stop by to introduce himself and ask for my vote.  This gentleman is an incumbent who I also respect.  He said nothing about his opponent, but instead talked about what he had accomplished in the capital during this term and what he hoped to do in the future.  I told him he had my support.  He thanked me and shook my hand. 

I guess what troubles me most is that many of these same politician claim to be church-going conservative.  If they are indeed Christians, I have to wonder if in their religious training they ever got down to the commandment that deals with giving "false testimony against your neighbor," or in this case your political opponent. 

I never heard my daddy speak an evil word about any candidate, but it's funny I always knew how he voted.  That's a lesson we need to keep in mind.  Focus on what you stand for and love those who hold opinions or political stances that are opposite.  By the way, it might only be a primary election but I sure hope you vote on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment