Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Lesson from a Hip Grandma

I usually spend Wednesday afternoons at DFW International Airport where I serve as a volunteer ambassador.  I provide information and try to help people navigate the five terminals.  On a typical day I assist somewhere around 125 people.  In between I do a lot of people watching.  This week one of those was a very "hip" grandma.  She was traveling cross-country with three of her grandchildren.  This grandma was trying to corral three teenagers.  The oldest two were girls who I suspect were in the "eye rolling" stage: You know the look when you ask a teen to do something they think is beneath them.  This grandma was capable of rolling her eyes right back and letting them know who was in charge, and "yes, you will do what I ask."  The boy was probably 13 or 14, but already had the "surfer look" down; muscle shirt and earring to boot." 

The plane leaving my gate was heading to Orange County, California.  I could only assume they were heading for a vacation seeing the sites, although they hardly look like the Disneyland crowd.  After they had settled in she called them together.  There were ninety minutes till the flight left.  "Go get yourselves something to eat," she announced.  Then, holding her cell phone up for them to see, she instructed, "And let me know where you are at.  No issues!"

Curious, once the kids departed I wandered over.  Yes they were heading to southern California to see their father, her son.  They, along with their mom, lived in the southeast.  The trip west was an annual event.  "We let them fly alone over the holidays, but this one provides me with time with them.,"  she noted.  Suddenly their was the sound of an antique car horn. She glanced a her phone but in stead of typing the response she put the phone to her mouth.  "Just a fruit smoothie, please," she dictated.  Turning back to me she reported, "They just want to make sure I am fed, too."

I had other passengers to help, so I returned to my podium.  When I heard the announcement that the flight to Orange County was ready for boarding, I turned to check on grandma.  Her grandson was sitting beside her playing a game on his tablet, but the girls were nowhere in sight.  No worry.  Grandma got out her cell phone and once again dictated, "Plane boarding.  Get here now."  The words were barely out her mouth when the two teens surfaced, carrying grandma's smoothie. 

With all the changes in communication comes a choice; Stay current and embrace them or be left behind.  If we opt out, we might be leaving our grandchildren behind too. We need more hip grandma's in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment