Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Reflecting on the Death of Robin and Jack

I was watching the 6:00 pm news last evening when the word broke of the death of Robin Williams.  What saddened me most was the fact that this talented man who made us all laugh had taken his own life.  I had little time to process the loss of Robin Williams when my world was rocked by another death.  Dave Rahberg phoned to tell me that our mutual friend, Jack Giles, had gone home to heaven.  A short time later I was on the phone with good friend, Bill Ameiss, reminiscing memories of Jack and how he had impacted our lives.

I enjoyed Robin William's humor.  He was a talented actor, but whenever I saw him interviewed I sensed there was a troubled man beneath the surface.  I was not surprised when I learned that he battled substance abuse.  Humor can only hide the sadness within for so long.

While I watched Robin Williams from a distance, I knew Jack intimately.  We first met in 1973 when he was a rookie DCE and I, with four years of experience, was the veteran.  Over the years we worked together on many projects.  During the 80's we became partners, along with the sainted Larry Brandt, in Parish Ministries Resources, Inc.  Our journal, Insights into Christian Education, was pretty cutting edge at the time.  I was the creative mind, Larry was in touch with the resources, and Jack could process everything and develop a plan.  My last lengthy conversation with Jack was an example of that.  Last fall, we were together at a conference in Katy, Texas.  I had a new writing project that I was excited about.  Jack was a sounding board, helping me think through the process and the challenges I faced.  In the end I shelved the project.  Thanks again, Jack.

There is an irony in the fact that Robin Williams and Jack Giles died on the same day.  Robin Williams entertained us, and made us laugh, but it was only temporary.  Sure, he lives on in his movies, but what he offered us was shallow.  If you need proof, consider the way he died. He was a broken man who, because of his depression, could not face the realities of life.  Jack died with dignity.  He faced death with the same practical confidence he did other challenges.  Through his faith in Jesus Christ, Jack knew that death was but the door to eternal life.

Those of us who are left behind now have the challenge of living the legacy that Jack, Larry and others who have gone before us.  We are Easter People and Hallelujah will always be our song.

No comments:

Post a Comment