Friday, February 6, 2015

Fifty Shades of Grey

Okay, now that I have your attention I am not referring to the erotic works of fiction that consistently appear on the most read book list.  Nor is this a reaction to the fact that the first film adaptation will soon be released.  I do want to focus on a cultural trend.  There seem to be more and more grey areas when it comes to values and behavior.  It has created a dilemma for those of us to make our decision based on God's Word.  It causes me to ponder, what kind of world do we live in?

The gay/lesbian issue has to be near the top of the list.  As I interpret the scriptures, homosexuality is wrong.  It is a sin that goes against God's plan, but the reality is I am convinced some people have been created that way.  It has become a grey area.  We could add abortion to the list of grey areas.  Taking the life of the unborn is wrong.  I truly believe a life begin at inception, but what about those instances of rape or incest.  I face another grey area as I make more rounds as a hospital chaplain.  We are able to sustain life through machines, but what about cases where there is no brain activity or hope of recovery.  When do we pull the plug?  Some grey areas are not so dramatic.  I value honesty, but there are times when I have to avoid stating the full truth to protect myself or because have been entrusted with some one's confidence. 

Yes, life is full of grey areas.  I think God puts us in such situations to remind us that we do have free-will.  He wants us to make decision, choices that reflect who we are as God's people.  He wants us to be Jesus, unbound by the expectations of others.  It does not make life easy.  We make hundreds of decisions each day.  Some have long-lasting implication, others are short-term.  Decisions can be significant or insignificant.  Many of those decisions involve grey areas.  Should we watch an R rated movie that has sexual content, but has been touted as being an award winner?  

Come to think of it maybe this is about the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy.  Shades of grey... What would Jesus do?  Isn't free-will a wonderful gift.  Now we have the challenge of living out God's plan in a post-Christian culture.  The world, especially the millennial generation is watching us.

No comments:

Post a Comment