Monday, March 7, 2016

OBSERVATIONS AS I TURN SEVENTY

Over the weekend I celebrated a milestone birthday; I turned seventy.  I must admit I am surprised at how fast I got to this point.  Honestly, seventy does not feel that much different than sixty-nine.  We did have a great family celebration, and even my brother Jim and his wife Sandy joined us.  I think Jim, who is four years younger, felt I needed the moral support.  

The occasion did cause me to consider some things I have learned as I mark this milestone.

I have learned to speak less and listen more.  The world we live in is changing and the only way I can understand and minister to it is to seek to understand others and their perspectives. 

I need to earn the right to share my opinion.  That is especially the case when dealing with young people. 

Eating oatmeal every morning makes me a regular guy.  I also need to think about what I am eating.  Overall I am eating less but enjoying it more.

I am not ashamed to hit from the front tee box.  I cannot hit a golf ball the distance that I once could, so if they have senior tees, take advantage.  If I hit it straight and keep it in the fairway, I can still get a decent score.

I need to stretch every morning.  Most of my muscles need to be reminded daily what they are supposed to do.

It helps to stay positive and not worry: There is no sense in fretting about the future.  Today will provide unique opportunities that will only come my way once.  Enjoy it for what it is and do not worry about tomorrow. 

No regrets.  The mistakes I have made and the stuff that has happened in the past are history.  Nothing is gained by focusing on what has happened.

God’s grace is sufficient, so live each day boldly.


We are always people of hope.  “We are Easter People and hallelujah should always be our song.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment