Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Reflections on the Passion

I am not a big fan of Hollywood or of network television for that matter.  I pretty much watch news and the sport and ignore the prime-time shows.  I made an exception Sunday evening.  I watched the Fox broadcast of The Passion.  It was a very contemporary account of Jesus’ last hours, set against the backdrop of New Orleans.  Unlike other attempt to dramatize Jesus death, this version was totally contemporary.  Instead of Roman Centurions, the arrest was made by police in full riot gear.  The encounter between Jesus and the two thieves (“today you will be with me in heaven”) took place in the back of a police van. 

I suppose some folks might have taken offense at some of the liberty the writers and producers took.  I could look past that because the gospel message was so strong.  Instead of exposing viewers to the violence and gore, the narrator, Tyler Perry, described the agony Jesus went through, and more importantly why he had to endure it.  His description was very accurate, but left the images to my imagination.  The presentation closed on a positive note; Jesus was not left on the cross or in the empty tomb.  A victorious Jesus appeared on the roof of a nearby hotel, singing about his conditional love for mankind.

What I found most reassuring about this presentation was that it was so personal.  The live audience was very much engaged.  I was also encouraged by the number of teens and young adults who were there.  While I was not familiar with most of the music, they obviously were because they were mouthing the words.   That was probably the most reassuring aspect.  So many young adults were not only captivated, but emotionally moved.  Maybe, just maybe some of them were hearing of Jesus love for them for the first time.  We need to continue to find ways to make Jesus real and personal to teens and young adults.  Only when that happens do we have the possibility to make them life-long disciples.

While musically and dramatically it was not exactly my cup or tea, I rejoice in the fact that so many members of the Millennial generation could identify with it.  That is what I believe is God-pleasing.


No comments:

Post a Comment