Friday, June 3, 2016

A Lesson Inside the Ropes

I spent the Memorial Day Weekend serving as a volunteer marshal at the Dean and Deluca Invitational Golf Tournament.  This was the seventh time that I got to work the annual event held at the Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth.  To people who have watched golf on television, the marshals are the individuals who hold up the quiet signs around the green.  From experience I can tell you there is so much more to it than that.  I am one to sixteen marshals assigned to the 17th hole.  We have responsibility from the landing area on the 17th hole through the 18th tee box.  In addition to keeping the gallery quiet, we spot drives and locate errant shots. Our crew also holds the signal paddle on the 18th tee, letting the marshals in the landing area know where the ball is headed.   We also have responsibility for getting the golfers from the 17th to the 18th hole.  We work in teams of two and rotate regularly, providing a lot of variety to the experience.

For the most part, I totally enjoy my work as a marshal.  However, the hours can be long and often our schedule is controlled by the weather.  Example: Because of a delay on Friday, we were not done until sunset and it was almost 10:30 PM when I got home.  Because of our rotating schedule I needed to be back on duty by 7:00 AM Saturday morning.  On the positive side: I do get to view the game inside the ropes and during my off-duty time watch some great golf. 

There is one major frustration, however.  You might think it is the rowdy fans who struggle with self-control after drinking beer and being in the sun all day, but I can understand that. For the most part the fans are courteous and respectful toward the golfers.  The problem comes with one of the PGA’s rules.  The sanctioning body has a strict No pictures – No video policy.  As the golfers approach the green we are required to remind the gallery that they are to have their cell phones on silent and to not be taking pictures.  The annoying thing is people still have their phones up snapping away.  When the local hero and eventual winner, Jordan Spieth, was on the green I counted at least ten people with their cell phone out taking pictures.  You might think, it is kids who are trying to get away with something but you would be wrong.  Almost all of them are adults over forty, and in the case of Jordan Spieth, female.  When called out, most people admit they know the rule, but tell me the picture is for themselves and not to sell or even post online.  I remind them that a rule is still a rule and they need to delete an picture they have taken. 


I have to wonder, what kind of a message are we sending when we feel the rules are only there for other people, and we are the exception?  I hear a lot of older adults talk about how self-absorbed Millennials are, but I think I know where it comes from.  The Baby Boomer generation has not given them a good example to follow.  If it is to change it needs to start with me and you. It might be the "no photo policy" on the golf course or the speed limit on the highway; rules are rules and they are there for all of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment