Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Mr. Hockey did not Need to Tell us He was the Greatest

We lost one of my childhood heroes last week.  Gordie Howe died at age eighty-eight.  His body was laid in state in the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, the city where he is still adored.  Ironic that while most of the attention was on the passing of Muhammad Ali, the death of the hockey icon was almost an afterthought.  I noticed.  To be honest, I was never a big fan of Muhammad Ali, but Gordy Howe was my idol as boy.  In my mind those were the glory days of hockey.  There were only six teams; The Canadians, Maple Leafs, Rangers, Bruins, Black Hawks and The Detroit Red Wings.  The rivalries were fierce, the quality of play high.  No helmets or goalie masks.  Terry Sawchuk was the Detroit goalie.  If he lost a tooth or needed stitches, he skated to the bench where he got patched up and then skated back in place.  When you talk about toughness, hockey players in the “golden age” of the sport might be at the top of the list.

Cassius Clay took the sporting world by storm, primarily because he was so good a promoting himself.  I do not recall another athlete ever being audacious enough to state “I am the greatest” when their career had barely started.  It always bothered me that he thumbed his nose at the government and avoided the draft.  It also troubled me that he converted to Islam and became so radically outspoken on the racial issue, the exact opposite of Martin Luther King.  True, he settled down later in life, especially after he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.  Prior to that, his personal life was a mess; numerous marriages and many public affairs.  Not someone I want to emulate or who I would point to as a role model for kids.

Gordie Howe might have been the antithesis.  He continued to play professional hockey into his fifties, playing on the same team as his sons.  He was only married to one woman and I do not recall any negative rumors circulating regarding “Mr. Hockey.”  Until his wife died in 2009, they lived, and were very involved in the Detroit community.  He was also a devote Catholic and his funeral was held in one on of the great cathedrals in the Motor City.  I actually met Gordie Howe once.  He was the featured speaker at a men’s sports banquet at our church.  My dad and I arrived early in order to get a good seat and were surprised to see Mr. Hockey casually standing around talking with the kids.  As I recall he was very friendly and gracious, and almost blended in with the crowd. 


It has always troubled me when we put people with questionable lifestyle on a pedestal.  One of the key traits I look for is a sense of Christian values and some semblance of a faith life.  You learn more about a person by observing them away from the spotlight. I definitely have little use for someone who wants to tell me how great they are, or what they have done for me lately.   Mr. Hockey never needed to tell people he was the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment